Promises for Children
We all have a role to play helping prepare Weld County’s children for the future.
United Way of Weld County has facilitated, funded and provided leadership for Promises for Children since 2000. In 2007, HB 1062 identified a statewide need to increase and sustain quality, accessibility, capacity, and affordability of early childhood services for all families. The legislation established Early Childhood Councils with a common purpose to develop and implement a comprehensive system of early childhood services to ensure the school readiness of children in the areas of early care and education, family support, mental health and health. UWWC’s Promises for Children became the host and manager for Weld County’s Early Childhood Council. The Council’s goals are:
- Family Support & Education – Increase coordination of resources to provide access to information about young children’s overall wellness and development for parents.
- Health & Well-Being – Work with community partners to increase awareness of nutrition, physical activity and mental health services available in the county.
- Community Awareness & Advocacy – Link public engagement/awareness efforts about early childhood issues, priorities, challenges and share/implement with stakeholders.
- Early Learning & Development – Increase quality in informal care environments to promote school readiness for all.
- Systems Building – Build a seamless system among parents, families, child care providers and service providers to deliver early childhood services in the areas of early care and education, family support, mental health and health.
Collaborative partners include local businesses and other professionals, child care and health care providers, and parents all working together to address issues facing young children and families in our community. Organizations in collaboration are:
- Aims Community College
- City of Greeley
- North Colorado Health Alliance
- North Range Behavioral Health
- University of Northern Colorado
- Weld County Government Agencies
- Weld County School Districts
If interested in learning more about Promises for Children, please contact Sheri Hannah-Ruh at 970-353-4300. It is offered through the generous funding of many individuals and organizations, including people like you!
Sign up to receive our monthly eNewsletter