Promises for Children
To better align the investments it makes in agency programs with the ongoing work of the Promises for Children Early Childhood Council, United Way is presently facilitating a community-wide planning and goal setting process for Early Childhood efforts in Weld County. Find out more and read about the progress of this effort. Contact Melanie Falvo for more information and to get involved.
We all have a role to play helping prepare Weld County’s children for the future.
United Way of Weld County has facilitated, funded and provided leadership for Promises for Children since 2000. In 2007, HB 1062 identified a statewide need to increase and sustain quality, accessibility, capacity, and affordability of early childhood services for all families. The legislation established Early Childhood Councils with a common purpose to develop and implement a comprehensive system of early childhood services to ensure the school readiness of children in the areas of early care and education, family support, mental health and health. UWWC’s Promises for Children became the host and manager for Weld County’s Early Childhood Council. The Council’s goals are:
- Family Support & Education – Increase coordination of resources to provide access to information about young children’s overall wellness and development for parents.
- Health & Well-Being – Work with community partners to increase awareness of nutrition, physical activity and mental health services available in the county.
- Community Awareness & Advocacy – Link public engagement/awareness efforts about early childhood issues, priorities, challenges and share/implement with stakeholders.
- Early Learning & Development – Increase quality in informal care environments to promote school readiness for all.
- Systems Building – Build a seamless system among parents, families, child care providers and service providers to deliver early childhood services in the areas of early care and education, family support, mental health and health.
Collaborative partners include local businesses and other professionals, child care and health care providers, and parents all working together to address issues facing young children and families in our community. Organizations in collaboration are:
- Aims Community College
- City of Greeley
- North Colorado Health Alliance
- North Range Behavioral Health
- University of Northern Colorado
- Weld County Government Agencies
- Weld County School Districts
If interested in learning more about Promises for Children, please contact Sheri Hannah-Ruh at 970-353-4300. It is offered through the generous funding of many individuals and organizations, including people like you!
These agencies and organizations are connected with this collective impact effort:
A Woman’s Place
Early Childhood University
High Plains Library District
Immigrant & Refugee Center of Northern Colorado
Life Stories Child & Family Advocacy
Lutheran Family Services of the Rocky Mountains
North Colorado Health Alliance
North Range Behavioral Health
Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center
Salud Family Health Centers
Sunrise Community Health—Women, Infants, and Children Food and Nutrition Service
The Salvation Army
Thompson Rivers Parks and Recreation
Town of Kersey Recreation
University of Northern Colorado— Department of Audiology and Speech Language Sciences
United Way of Weld County
University of Northern Colorado— Office of Engagement
University of Northern Colorado—School of Theatre and Dance
Weld County Department of Human Services
Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment
Weld County School District RE-1 (Gilcrest/LaSalle/Platteville)
As summer starts to wind down, we turn our thoughts to back to school time. Big kids go shopping for notebooks and pencils, new sneakers and jeans. But what about our littlest learners? It can be tough to remember which skills little ones develop in which order, and...
Health and Wellbeing
- Support community partners to provide services and connections for the well-being of the whole child
Community Awareness & Advocacy
- Annual KIDS COUNT! Presentation
- Monthly Newsletter
- Shared Messaging
- School Readiness Calendar
Sign up to receive our monthly eNewsletter