Jill Scott is the director of human resources for Professional Finance Company in Greeley.
After starting a family, or adding to a family, the decision to return to work can be a daunting one for any parent. The cost, reliability and quality of child care can be simply overwhelming without some assistance which is what the Family Business Solutions program offers to our employees.
Professional Finance Company (PFC) has been a proud partner of United Way of Weld County for many years, participating in several programs and causes. When the Family Business Solutions program was introduced to PFC, we jumped on the opportunity to aid our employees in not only finding suitable child care but to also assist with the high cost. By offering this assistance, our employees are able to maintain a work/life balance, improve attendance, and focus on their work rather than being distracted by unreliable childcare. One employee said the assistance helped her finalize the decision to come back to work versus being a stay-at-home mom.
This program continues to be a significant recruiting and retention tool for us – it is a unique benefit that candidates and employees truly appreciate and see it as an investment into their families. There is minimal maintenance requirement in managing the program. Here is a simple breakdown of how the program works:
• Regular full-time employees who have been employed a minimum of 30 days are able to participate in the program. The employee completes the required paperwork which PFC submits to United Way of Weld County indicating start date, information on children and provider, monthly allowance, etc.
• Children in this program must receive care from a licensed child care provider.
• United Way of Weld County sends billing information directly to the provider.
• The provider bills United Way of Weld County monthly for the previous month of care – funds are sent directly to provider which is then credited to the employees’ invoice for services.
• United Way of Weld County invoices Professional Finance Company for billed services.
• The benefit is $200 per month per child and is paid in rears.
• As an added benefit, Professional Finance Company does receive a tax benefit.
One PFC employee who participates in the program said: “The day care assistance program reduces the financial stress of day care and is a huge savings to our family. The money saved helps us provide a better quality of life for our family.”
Another PFC employee said to me: “I am a single mom who receives no child support. I am extremely grateful for the assistance program. It has allowed me to provide more for my daughter than I would be able to without the help, and to stay steady on my feet!”
I would highly encourage other employers to look into the Family Business Solutions program. It has been a huge success in providing our employees with a sense of comfort in knowing their children are well taken care of while they are busy at work.
For more information on Family Business Solutions, please contact Judith Baptiste, early care and education services coordinator at United Way of Weld County, at (970) 304-6191 or email her at email@example.com.